Omnata with Salesforce Connect (External Objects)
This is the most common and full featured way to use Omnata
Omnata Connect is a custom adapter for Salesforce Connect which allows tables and views from a Snowflake account to be accessed as External Objects.
Whenever an External Object is accessed, the adapter creates a SQL query, executes the query in your data platform via a REST API call, and translates the result back into native Salesforce data types.
External Objects virtualise queried data on-platform without replicating it.
External Objects behave very similarly to Standard and Custom Objects, but do not offer identical functionality for some platform features.
To understand the differences, refer to Salesforce Platform Features Supported by Salesforce Connect in the Salesforce docs.
The below diagram outlines how Omnata fits between Salesforce and your cloud data warehouse.
Omnata runs inside your Salesforce instance as a native app
- Displaying a list of related records on a Salesforce object page
- Displaying the field values of individual records
- Creating reports using standard Salesforce reporting functionality
- Incorporating data from cloud data warehouse tables into Salesforce Flows
- Incorporating data from cloud data warehouse tables into Einstein chatbot responses
Salesforce Data type
External lookup relationship
Indirect lookup relationship
Long text area